Friday, March 28, 2008

My First Flight

When I took my first flying lesson at 13, my dad later told me that it was to scare me out of flying! He said "Flying is a tough business" and that "I wouldn't like it." You see, he worked for Eastern Airlines many years ago as a Ramper and a Manager. After Continental bought Eastern, he lost his job that he loved and wanted to protect me from going through the same pain.

After my very first lesson at Farmingdale Republic Airport (FRG) in Long Island, I was hooked for life. My Grandma lives close to this airport and every time we visited her, I would insist that we drove past it, even if it was 10 minutes out of the way. I especially liked going by it at night since it was all lit up with the blue taxi lights.

My father reluctantly agreed to pay for my first flying lesson as an early birthday present. He called up the flight school and made an appointment for me to meet my instructor and go flying on March 20th, 1994.

I arrived at the airport on a crisp March morning for my first lesson. I was extremely excited and nervous. Something as thrilling as the prospect of flying would make nearly anyone get butterflies. My first instructor was a young guy named Peter who was just biding his time to become an airline pilot himself. He taught me how to pre-flight a Cessna 152 and after warming up the engine, we taxied to the runway for takeoff.

"Relax" he told me. "You'll be surprised at how fast you catch on." He explained the airspeed indicator and the hand throttle and all the airplanes controls. "Always be gentle with the controls...relax, be smooth and easy" he said. As we scanned the sky for other airplanes, Peter called the control tower for clearance to take off. "Clear for takeoff," radioed the tower.

The palms of my hands were damp as I pushed the throttle for full power. I held the dual control wheel in front of me to feel what Peter did to takeoff. Accelerate...airspeed...45...50...55...hold gentle back pressure...lift off, we're flying!

It was amazing. I learned how to fly straight ahead, make turns, climbs, and how to descend. Before I knew it, my first flight was over. An hour ago I had no idea I could pilot a plane so easily...and confidently. We returned to the field and as I walked to the hangar, I felt like a changed man. I had learned something new and felt bigger for the experience. It was more satisfying than I had ever imagined.

When I looked ahead to the ways flying could change things for me, my father just smiled and said he was happy I had such a good time. And thus was the first day I went flying which began a lifetime of memories.

No comments: